Easy Eggplant And Ground Beef Recipe
TheBestRecipes – Easy Eggplant And Ground Beef Recipe – Eggplants are certainly one of my personal favorites and in addition they are ideal for lower carbohydrate diets. September, we planted an Asian variety of eggplant that has been bearing fruit like crazy. It’s impart us with a many small eggplants while our traditional eggplant plant only produced two eggplants so far. I want to to express this eggplant tomato ground beef skillet recipe on your website as it’s the easiest way There is utilise our Asian eggplants. I cook a great deal of easy ground beef skillet recipes throughout the year. It’s well known that grass fed beef is a good, but I don’t purchase it because we stock our freezer with ground venison burger meat.
Preparation time Cook time Ready in
20 Minutes 55 Minutes 1 Hour 15 Minutes
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 pound lean ground beef
- 1 can (14.5 ounces) tomatoes, drained
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- Dash cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- 2 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- Slice eggplants in 1/2-inch slices.
- In a large kettle, boil eggplant slices 5 to 10 minutes, until tender. Drain in a colander or on paper towels. Sprinkle eggplant with 2 teaspoons of salt and place a layer of paper towels on top of the salted slices. Place a heavy casserole or bowl on top of the eggplant, pressing down to squeeze out excess water.
- Arrange half of the drained eggplant slices in a 13x9x2-inch baking dish.
- In a large skillet, brown ground beef; drain off excess fat. Add drained tomatoes, breaking up with a spoon. Add tomato sauce, garlic powder, 1/2 teaspoon salt, pepper, oregano, and cinnamon. Simmer for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Spread the meat sauce mixture over the eggplant. Top meat mixture with remaining eggplant slices.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour; cook, stirring, for about 1 minute. Remove from heat. Gradually stir in milk; return to heat and cook until thickened, stirring constantly. Add shredded cheese and continue stirring until cheese is melted and sauce is smooth. Add a small portion of the mixture to the slightly beaten eggs, beating quickly, then return egg mixture to sauce in the saucepan, whisking as you pour.
- Spoon the cheese sauce over the eggplant casserole.
- Bake at 400 F for 30 minutes, or until topping is set.
- Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
I like to sprinkle salt on the chopped eggplant and then cook it up in a little olive oil until it softens. I find it has the most flavor when cooked up separately first. While the eggplant is cooking, I’ll chop up the tomatoes. My husband and son always go overboard with the tomato plants so I sometimes just keep cutting up what will fit in the pan. However, a good amount for this Easy Eggplant And Ground Beef Recipe is about two cups.